ADB approves USD6m contingency financing to Solomon Islands
The Minister of Finance and Treasury, Hon. Harry Kuma this week has announced that Asian Development Bank (ADB) Board has approved a contingency financing amendment total of US$6 million to support the Solomon Islands Government in its preparedness and response commitments the covid-19 pandemic under its Pacific Disaster Resilience Program (PDRP). Read more
IMF approved 24 months SIG-CBSI Debt servicing relief
The Ministry of Finance and Treasury revealed that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Board, on 13th April, 2020, has approved a SIG/CBSI joint request for a Debt Servicing relief for Solomon Islands under the IMF Catastrophe Containment and Relief Trust (CCRT). Read more
Exemption for lockdown
From last week, SICCI) has been facilitating the exemption process for companies and businesses providing essential services, to remain operational during a potential lockdown once imposed by the Government. Read more
COVID-19 Impact Survey
From last week, SICCI has been conducting an enterprise survey with business and industry to better understand the situation and challenges faced due to the ongoing challenges brought about by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and the Preparatory measures in country. Read more
SICCI and Business Link Pacific partnership
SICCI is working to finalise a partnership with Business Link Pacific (BLP), a private sector development programme funded by New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT).
BLP is a multi-country private sector development initiative operating in six Pacific Islands, including the Solomon Islands. Read more
Chris Elphick of Breadfruit Consulting, and Ben Nginabule of SISBEC are working together to help small businesses create ways of preparing for and getting through disasters.
All small businesses with 5 or more people are eligible for this free offering Contact Ben at 26650/ 7419886 or Chris at email@example.com
NDMO NATIONAL SITUATIONAL REPORT #4
The National Emergency Operations Centre has released the National Situational Report number 4 in response to COVID-19 on Thursday 16 April 2020.
Camp Management sector committee update
- 15 people have completed their quarantine time at GBR on and three (3) from Pacific Casino on 10th April 2020.
- Institutional quarantine sites and Guadalcanal Beach Resort (GBR), VIMO and National Hosting Authority (NHA) are now empty, and decontamination completed.
- Institutional Quarantine Facility Management Team are currently taking stock of available resources and supplies. Read more
Livelihood sector committee update
- Assessments conducted in West Guadalcanal so far identified that there is root crop supply available for 3 months and therefore planting needs to start in order for harvesting to take place within the next 4-6 months.
- Meat stock assessment in two main outlets in Honiara city identified that two months of supplies still remains Sullivan’s while Meat Lovers has enough meat stock to last for three months. Other sites will be conducted soon.
- Solomon Islands Chamber of Commerce and Industries (SICCI) still awaits response from Solrais and other companies on available food stock.
- Support for tools and seedlings is required to encourage farmers to plant more crops for the coming months to sustain the normal supply. Read more
The Central Bank (CBSI) has recently released its monthly economic bulletin for March 2020. Access the full report here
Notice for those wishing to return to or transit through Australia
A special commercial flight to Brisbane may become available in the near future. Australian citizens, permanent residents, and other third-country nationals in Solomon Islands wishing to board this possible flight should register with Solomon Airlines at https://flysolomons.typeform.com/to/DUaxA9 via e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning 177. Please refer to attached notice from the Australian High Commission for further information.
Solomon Airlines also wishes to advise the general public and businesses that there will be cargo-only flights to and from Brisbane. This is an opportunity to export/import cargo. There are no schedule flight times as yet, a schedule will be relayed once received. If interested, you are advised to talk to Solomon Airlines agent Pakfresh in Brisbane or Solomon Airlines office here in Honiara.”